Sunday, November 16, 2014

Picking a Masters Program

I was looking at many different places to start taking my Masters at over the last year.
The problem I ran into was the same problem again and again. Most places do not have classes that are to a certification standard.

In my field, the more certs you have the more "versatile" you are.
Some people hate it, I agree with it though. In order to prove knowledge we have to take a test. If the test includes hands-on portion then I value it more.
This does not stop people from just memorizing things and passing a test but that is where hands-on comes into play.
That is why people value the "OSCP" (http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/) it is knowledge with hands-on portion test.

So..getting off the cert horse now. I want a school where I know the material is up to date and has certifications with it.

There was two:

  • Western Governor's University
  • SANS
So I evaluated each one and I will break it down for you here:
Western Governor University (WGU) (http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_security_assurance_degree)
All online, "at your own pace", and accredited. 
I have had previous experience with them.
You have a counselor that calls you once a week to see how your progressing. Sometimes you are lucky to talk to them about once every two weeks. The classes is on your own, you don't really get to interaction with anyone.

Cost
$2,890 per 6 months term

Certs


  • EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)
  • EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)



SANS (http://www.sans.edu/academics/masters-programs/msise)
I have taken many different classes with SANS. I like the approach of in person, video, and self study with hands on labs. The OnDemand option allows for you to reach out and chat with someone instantly. If you go for the "Gold", write a gold paper then you get to work with an advisor to write a professional paper.

Recently certified and now accepting VA payments!!!

Cost
$1,250 per credit hour (~$5,000 a class with cert included (a regular SANS class with cert is $6,000)

Certs

  • GSEC
  • GCIH
  • GCIA
  • GCPM
  • GCCC
  • 3 Elective classes

The other college I looked at was 


George Mason University (GMU)  (http://cs.gmu.edu/programs/masters/isa/)

This is a local college. Some people from work go there, so I was considering it. I went through the registration process and such. The application process is sided. I first received a declined letter for admissions. When I asked the others attending they stated that the admissions department will take 200 applicants and send declined letters to the rest unless they been to the school before.

I fought the process and was eventually accepted. The classes are at night so I would have to leave work and go to class.

Cost
$10,657 a year
$400 parking
$200 technology fee


I went with SANS and I will write about the Admissions Process with them next time.

2 comments:

  1. SANS is a good one and is one i hope to do in the future, but I don't know how strict they are on what grades you obtained in your firs degree...

    it would be interesting to see how it all goes in regards to point of application to graduation. Its going to take 3 years though right ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I setup my classes to take 4 years...but I could go faster.

      Delete